America to Me is a Starz docu-series. There are approximately 10 episodes that highlight Oak Park and River Forest High School in Oak Park, Illinois, a suburb outside of Chicago. This episode is the ninth installment of the series. On episode 9, "The Invisible T-Shirt” of the America to Me series, I relate my experience attending small colleges in predominately-White towns to Kendale's college visit. I also analyze Tiara's academic struggles and a potential solution. Terrence goes to court with his mother regarding guardianship, and Ms. Stovall's Woven program is met with resistance from administration, again. Lastly, I discuss the question, "Why aren't there more Black and Brown educators?" It's not an easy answer.
The next series will focus on my book, Becoming an Effective Black Educator, available via paperback or e-Book. I'm excited to discuss this content in details as it directly relates to our current conundrums in education and within our own careers. I want everyone to be successful, and I plan on giving away a few copies during this series.
PSA — Thanks to Participant’s America to Me: Real Talk campaign, you can watch the America to Me docuseries and access the “Real Talk” guide for free. Click here. Input code “ATM2020” in all caps into the “Conference Code” box.
Shop Black Scholars Clothing™ with promo code SCHOLARS for 15 percent off. Thank you for your support.
The Black Scholars Podcast is now available on YouTube. Please subscribe.
Thank you for being a part of the community. Please tell your colleagues about the show, subscribe to the show, and leave a review.
All e-mail inquiries should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
1. Subscribe via Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, Google Play, or Spotify.
2. Leave a review via Apple Podcasts, Stitcher, Google Play, or Spotify.
3. Share the podcast with social media, friends, and colleagues.
4. Subscribe to the YouTube channel. Turn on notifications.
5. Support the show via Patreon (donate anywhere from $1 to $100). To help the growth of the show, develop future professional development events, a nationwide conference, seminars and more, please support us. Your contribution will be rewarded with early access to new content, free merchandise, exclusive promo codes to Black Scholars Clothing™, consulting services, advertisement spots, and more. Thank you for being a part of the tribe. You are appreciated.
6. Shop Black Scholars Clothing™ where there are various hoodies, t-shirts, tank tops, and other apparel. Your support is appreciated.